This soup has become my go to food for comfort in the last few weeks, just like Japan Express has become our source of dinners on test weekends. It helps that I consider it winter food, that it has lots of vegetables which simmer in white wine and lemon juice and that it is creamy and warm and delicious, yet easy to put together. And if you think people from the Caribbean eat a lot of rice…well i’m here to tell you that the stereotype is true and that I do eat copious amounts of rice preferentially in some type of soup or sauce; so this soup just makes a lot of sense to me.
Wild Rice, Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 1 cup wild rice mix
- 2 Tbs butter, divided
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of diced carrots
- 2 chicken breasts, boiled and shredded (I put them in the microwave, under water in the microwave-safe bowl for 15 minutes, and then shredded under cool running water. It’s OK if the chicken is not cooked all the way in.)
- 1 cup diced baby portobella mushrooms
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup, (I used Campbell’s)
- 2 cups chicken broth, and 1 additional cup if you like your soup not as thick
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika, optional
- 2 Tbs chopped cilantro for garnish, optional
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter to a large size pan over medium to high heat. Once the butter has melted add the carrots and saute for 1 minute. Add the rice and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In a large pan over medium to high heat, add the last tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and celery and saute until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for another minute. Add the shredded chicken and cook for another 4 minutes. Add the wine and lemon juice to the pan, stir and cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the chicken and vegetables to the large pan containing the rice and carrots (once the rice has finished cooking), stir well and return to the stove over medium heat. Add the 2 cups of chicken broth and the cream of mushrooms and stir well to incorporate. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the heavy cream, stir and cook for another minute.
- Season well with salt and pepper and garnish with paprika and cilantro right before serving.
If the soup is too think for you, add additional chicken broth or water.