I made these last weekend and they turned out pretty good. They are also pretty simple if you are patient as they go through a double round of baking, slicing and turning in the oven. I thought they were pretty chocolaty, but if this isn’t enough chocolate for you, you could dip them in additional melted chocolate which I’m sure would be awesome too. Suffice it to say these lasted only a day over here, so step 13 of the directions…”store in an airtight container for up to two weeks”…didn’t really apply to us; I’m just adding it as a formality in case people out there are a bit more self restrained.
Chocolate Chip and Pistachio Biscotti
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pistachio nuts
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven at 350F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl using a whisk, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, thoroughly mix together the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix for a few more minutes to incorporate all ingredients well.
- Finally, add in the pistachio nuts and chocolate chips and incorporate using a baking spatula.
- With wet hands mold the dough into a flattened log, about 6 inches wide and 1-1.5 inches of thickness in the center of the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the oven and cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife cut the dough diagonally into 1/2-inches slices (careful with this part as the biscotti can be crumbly and may break if you are too aggressive).
- Lay the biscotti cut side down on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, turning the biscotti to the other cut side down halfway during baking, until they feel mostly firm.
- Once baked, allow the biscotti to cool completely before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.